D800 - AF
Due to this thread I played with my D800 in a dark low contrast setting.
Some things I learned.
1. the heat from the candles seems to throw the PDAF of target. Hit and miss when trying to get focus on something behind the heat distortion.
2. Using AF-C setting AF lock to long (5) reduces the micro hunting in such low contrast scenarios.
3. camera does not hunt when a target with reasonable contrast is filling the focus point
4. targets with a similar low contrast but different distances to the camera throw off the the PDAF. (if inside the AF point)
5. CDAF requires focus more reliable under such conditions, but it takes more time and it hunts before locking.
hobby aviation photographer
|Black on White by RaVN11|
|Hummingbird and Bee by dibilio57|
from A Big Year - birds
|xheneta iseni _for DPReview by Mike Slade|
from - My Fair Lady - (Portraits in Full Colours Only + A Border)