Major frustration in D800 AF Tuning even with DotTune Method

Started Jan 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP ZionImage Regular Member • Posts: 330
Re: Major frustration in D800 AF Tuning even with DotTune Method

Robin Casady wrote:

I should add that in looking for perfection you will learn that different focal lengths in zoom lenses, and different focus distance may require different Fine Tune values. You have to make compromises.

Probably best to set a lens for the distance it will be most often used at. While close subjects are more critical, don't set it at closest focus if you rarely use that distance with that lens.

I agreed that DotTune is still tedious. But from my experiece, it is much faster (at least on the part of complete the test cycle) and easier than other traditional tuning methods I tried. At least I don't need to compare the photos and try to detect the minor differences between sharpest that are very subjective in my opinion.

Oh yeah, I showed the 135 as it has mid of the road results. My Nikon AF 80-200 f2.8 is totally whacked.  I do aware that I might set different AF point for zoom.  But even with that the AF focus inconsistency is to big that I am gambling no matter what value I set to.

My number one concern is that am I doing this right?

Joshua

-- hide signature --

Just trying to improve my draft one image at a time
You could check our more of my photos at http://www.joshuaphotographystudio.com

ZionImage's gear list:ZionImage's gear list
Nikon D810
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow