Do I have potential?

Started Jan 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
Keith Schmidt Veteran Member • Posts: 7,140
Yes, absolutely! A couple thoughts...

As others have already said, you definitely have potential, and several of these shots are quite good.

As I looked through them, I kept thinking how much they would benefit from post processing. It's obviously important to continue to work on your photography skills - think about the composition, what do you want the image to say, what's the key subject, how can you make the best use of the light, etc... and to get to know your camera and how all the paramaters work and play together. These are things that you will always find ways to improve.

But you can also make some great strides by understanding how to proecss your images after you take them. Many of the photos you shared are dark or underexposed, have areas where the shadows could be lifted, could benefit from sharpening or color/white balance adjustments. I would strongly encourage you to spend some time learning this important area of photography.

I chose to ignore PP for a very long time, but finally took some time to learn last winter when there wasn't much to shoot. I found a site with some great training videos:

http://kelbyone.com/course/napp_mkloskowski_lr5editingphotos/

I was so intimidated and confused by lightroom before finding this site - now its a breeze to go through my photos, and they're so much better as a result.

Good luck, and please keep sharing your photos and asking questions!

Keith Schmidt's gear list:Keith Schmidt's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow