Do I have potential?

Started Jan 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
jtan163 Senior Member • Posts: 2,265
Re: Do I have potential?

Hi Ya,

Congrats on your new camera and the possibilities it opens up for you.
I think you have potential - but I'm just some guy with a camera, so you need to take my words for what they are.

Your photos are by no means horrible and some are pretty damn nice.

Actually I'd say you have more than potential - every one has the potential if they make the effort.

It looks to me like you either have "a good eye" or have made the effort, perhaps with your point and shoot or maybe by just studying lots of images - or maybe both.

That said...
You have to take the bad with the good.

The JPEG'ing on the shot below is a bit horrible - the shot over all is pleasing but the artifacts in the sky around the clouds are sorta horrible.

Not sure if the shot is OOC (out of camera) JPEG or if you ran it through lightroom/aperture etc.

I'd have a look at the JPEG settings of whatever converted the RAW to JPEG - whether it was the camera or external software.

I get that you probably weren't really talking about your PP (post processing) but you asked for feedback and that it part of mine.

It's sort of interesting I was watching a photography themed vodcast today and the people were saying that with digital you more or less have to accept that PP is part of the deal.

The camera simply can't reproduce the world we see as we see it, so PP is as nearly an important skill as the operation of the camera and the skill of composition.

I seemed to have wandered.

Please don't get me wrong. Your shots are nice - good even.
You certainly have potential and I'd say your well on the way to fulfilling it.

Keep shooting and most importantly have fun.

NewGirlLiz wrote:

I've been following this forum for a few weeks now, and have learned so much already. I would now like to take a new step and ask for some feedback on some photos of my own.

Please bear in mind - I only upgraded from point and shoots a few months ago. I shoot all pics as jpegs and I have not as yet learned anything about post processing. I am not sharing these photos as examples of fine photography, and I am extremely shy about displaying them in the same forum that so many amazing photos are shared. But I figure that everyone started somewhere and I think it would be amazing if some of you brilliant photographers had any words of wisdom that could help me develop what is quickly becoming a passionate obsession.

I guess what I'm asking is - do you see any potential in these photographs? Do you think that with learning - including learning about post processing further down the line - and with lots of practice, I have got something that could be built on to become a decent photographer one day? What am I doing right? What am I doing wrong? What can I do to get better?

I don't have any grand ambitions. I don't want to be a professional photographer. I'd love to share my photos more widely one day, but at this point I just want to learn, learn, learn!

Many thanks for your time. Here are the pics. Mostly taken with EM1 & 12-40 lens. A couple taken on a compact in there too. I hope I haven't posted too many. I wanted to give a good selection of the kind of thing I shoot.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Liz

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow