Alpha 7 verses E-M1 or something else?

Started Jan 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,552
Alpha 7 verses E-M1 or something else?

I was about to pull the trigger on the Olympus OMD E-M1 when I learned that it can be affected by shutter shock blur.  Doing research, I then discovered the Sony Alpha 7 full frame camera which has an electronic first curtain shutter so does not suffer from shutter shock blur.

Both cameras have an electronic view finder which is a must for my style of shooting.  I like to have the histogram displayed in the VF and adjust exposure compensation for correct exposure.  I also like the WYSIWYG characteristics of electronic VFs over optical VFs.  Just my personal preferences.

For those not familiar with the E-M1 or the Alpha 7:

• E-M1:  Micro 4/3 sensor. Largest electronic VF viewed image of any camera.  I would buy it with the 12-40mm, constant F2.8 aperture, Pro lens. (camera + lens about $2398 but includes a small attachable flash)
  • Alpha 7: Full frame sensor!  I think the viewed image in the EVF is a bit smaller than the image in the E-M1 because the magnification of the VF image in the Alpha 7 is less than in the E-M1.  I would buy it with the kit lens, 28-70mm, F3.5-F5.6 OSS lens.  (camera + lens about $1998.  Does not include small attachable flash.)

... 1. What I'm not sure of is the light capturing ability of a "micro 4/3 sensor with constant F2.8 aperture lens" verses a "full frame sensor with a F3.5-F5.6 aperture lens".  Can you help me out with this?

... 2. How good is the image from the Alpha 7 using it's 4x digital zoom?  It's 28-70mm kit lens has only 2.5x zoom so I would need to use the additional 4x digital zoom for more reach.  I don't like to change lenses so need the additional 4x digital zoom.  (I only want input from Alpha 7 owners who use the 4x digital zoom.  I don't want to dilute this thread with why digital zoom is not good from non Alpha 7 owners.  Thanks.)

... 3. Any other suggestions for an APS-C camera that has a large electronic viewfinder and electronic first curtain shutter that can compare to the Alpha 7 with kit lens?

Thanks,
Sky

Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow