Which Camera to take on a Cruise??? 6D or S100

Started Jan 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,430
Re: Which Camera to take on a Cruise??? 6D or S100

Clay King wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

Really? You're going on a holiday and you want to lug around a full frame DSLR and a bag full of lenses? The S100 is a better choice, but I'd look at getting a small APS-C camera, you'd pick up an EOS M for next to nothing in todays market and make full use of maybe one or two of your lenses with an EF mount. You'd also love to have the 22mm prime for what you're doing as well.

I wasn't planning on a bag full, maybe just the 40 pancake, the 85 f/1.8 and the 70-300 IS USM. Instead of the 85, I could take the 24-105 or a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. I hadn't thought about the eos-m, but I can get one of them with the 18-55 on it for $356 on amazon right now, and that might be the way to go. Price goes up to $399 for the 22 prime...

Thanks for the idea, I am going to have to think long and hard about that...

That was bad advice Clay and I'm sorry you had to hear it. The S100 is OK, but not worthy. For a small travel camera, look at a Fuji X20 or Sony RX100 for instance. But in truth, if you're on a cruise, one 6D and one 24-105 is not a huge burden.

But really, there is no contest here - take the 6D. You don't need the pancake although it's stellar. Your primary lens on a trip like that where you want to economize should be your 24-105. Next you want a portrait type lens like the 85. But even just the 24-105 is possibly all you need. You get near ultra wide to portrait length.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow