70D Dynamic Range is actually great, despite what DXOMark says

Started Jan 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP Super486 New Member • Posts: 13
Re: 70D Dynamic Range is actually great, despite what DXOMark says

Super486 wrote:

I'm considering 70D as a sports, birding and video camera. I know D7100 sensor gets noticeably better ratings on DxoMark, especially in DR. This is repeated on the forums: Canon has poor DR. I don't know about older models, but I was curious to test by myself if the new 70D actually is lacking DR, so downloaded some raw samples with deep shadows, from two reviews I found on the net, and played with them in Raw Therapee. I tried to push them hard, challenging the supossedly lacking DR of the 70D.

Well, the actual results surprised me. I was expecting a ugly mess of blotchy noise, banding, pattern noise, but couldn't see it at all. Sure, the D7100 must be cleaner, and there is some color noise in the shadows, but it cleans up very well and is fine grained. Not a problem at all, at least to me.
What do you think folks? This is great for such a DR-limited sensor, isn't it?

You set up your own straw man and knocked the stuffing out of it, so well done. I know dpreview is extremely laissez faire in letting users set up accounts, but I can't see that setting one up for this purpose was worth it. It's clear you already know the ins and outs of posting photos on this site, but to what purpose? People don't say the image quality of the 70D is poor, they just say that the dynamic range of modern Nikons is really remarkable. I don't know that anybody expected banding at low ISO.
The only interesting information has come from TTMartin, that suggests it may pay to use DPP for raw conversion.

I'm a long time lurker of forums, and I'm interested on the 70D. However, I've read a number of times Canon has great high iso but poor DR at low iso with banding, pattern noise. This is a known mantra in the forums, isn't it? Some even say 70D has no improvements in DR. I did some tests and the results surprised me, so I thought it would be interesting to share them. Sorry if I disturbed anyone

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow