Has anyone here stayed with crop frame because of the Sigma 18-35mm?

Started Jan 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 13,824
Re: Too much weight

brightcolours wrote:

MAC wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

HowardLive wrote:

Just asking this question because I'm weighing an eventual purchase of the 6D or its eventual full-frame successor.

Since the Sigma has no full-frame equal in terms of aperture (it's the only f/1.8 zoom), have any of you put off full-frame at least partly to be able to use the Sigma? And how satisfied have you been?

Hope you can help me out, thanks.

...while I still was using 1.6x, I'd not have gone FF.

For near the same weight of the sigma and not much more money my approach is 24 IS ($500) + 35 IS ($550) + SL1 ($375)

with a main 70d body (to be for me)

hard to beat that value with ff

backup

image stable

great focal lengths

24 x 1.6 = 38.4mm. (f2.8 x 1.6 = f4.5)

A really handy focal length for crop. With 4 stop IS. I don't think shallow portrait at this focal length. The focal length is commonly used for deeper dof. Also the lens with ext tubes (which I have) can get the magnification factor since it has one of the lowest mfd's

35 x 1.6 = 56mm. (f2 x 1.6 = f3.2)

yeah, love the focal length on crop with IS. prefer my 35 f2 IS on my T4i - one handed - at f2 over my 50 f1.4 on my 5d that I have to stop down to f2.5 to get as sharp. Also I had your old 35 but the focus was slow and noisy and I had to stop it down to f2.5 to get it as sharp as my 35 IS at f2.

A tad long 35mm and 50mm FF equivalents. One can easily find similar focal lengths for FF. The Canon EF 35mm f2 IS USM (IS and AF), the Voigtländer 40mm f2 SL II N (no IS, MF, compact), the Canon EF 40mm f2.8 STM (no IS, AF, compact). Equivalent to the 24mm on APS-C, basically, but all with bigger max. apertures. The Canon EF 50mm f1.8, EF 50mm f1.4 USM, the Sigma 50mm f1.4 HSM, the to come Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art, the different MF 50/55/58mm MF Canons/Nikkors/Voigtlander... All bigger aperture possibilities, none with IS.

no IS is a non starter for me. I drag the shutter often. I don't like the penta bokeh of the 50 f1.8 and older 35 f2 non is designs. The bokeh of the 50 f1.4 leaves something behind also.

My approach till now has been:

6D + Voigtländer 20mm f3.5 SL II N (€399) + Canon EF 35mm f2 (€230 I think I payed for it new) + Nikkor/Canon 55mm f1.2 (about €300 each).

Hard to beat value, no IS but hard to beat aperture range with wider FOV with the 20mm, great focal lengths and the camera never gets really heavy in any combination. Which lenses will stay and which lenses will be added in this focal range, time will tell. Who knows, maybe a 50mm L will be added or will be replacing the 55mm, if iI come across a good deal. Or maybe a 24mm f2.8 IS will be added.

I may add a 100D for compact "travelness", with the 18-55mm IS STM as small travel lens with IS. The 20mm pancake will be a nice almost 35mm FF equivalent on that camera too. And the 55mm f1.2's will make for nice portrait primes (88mm f1.9 FF equivalent), as will my/any 85mm f1.8.

bit better iq

Do the Canons really have better IQ than the Sigma zoom? Sharpness wise, no. Bokeh, I do not know.

Yes, better bokeh. Better sharpness. I have the 35 IS on my T4i and the 24 IS on my SL1 and the 100L on my 5d most of the time. I have the 18-55STM and 55-250STM for video. All light and I like the goodness.

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow