UV Filters....Yes or No?

Started Jan 22, 2014 | Discussions thread
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 4,236
No (with qualifier)

I use a rubber lens hood indoors, and the packaged lens hood outdoors for protection. The only exception I would make is in a very dusty environment where the lens you are using does not change length externally. The ∑85/1.4 does not extend when focussing, although the inner section moves back and forth (but not the filter ring). This does cause a slight amount of air to move, and a filter of any kind on the front would create a (more or less) closed area that would help a great deal to prevent dust from getting into the lens and camera. Just to compare, I have the Minolta 85/1.4, and the entire front section moves a bit when focussing, including the filter. The lens becomes a piston, sucking and pushing air every time I focus.

For normal use in most environments, a UV or clear filter just creates another surface for flare.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow