Proffessional interest in Mirrorless/M43 overstated...

Started Jan 14, 2014 | Discussions thread
Lab D Veteran Member • Posts: 6,938
Its all about lenses

DJF77 wrote:

No one in their right mind would use M43s for sports work, a serious pro wouldn't even consider it. As nice as mirrorless systems are (which is what I soley own) they do not have the rugged build quality, focus tracking performance and high ISO ability as the pro grade Canon and Nikon systems. There maybe a very few exceptions, people with disabilities etc who have to make mirrorless work for them, but it's certainly the minority.

People here always focus on a sensor or a sensor size and yet, as I try to tell everyone it is about the photographer 1st and lenses 2nd.  M43 doesn't have any long wide aperture lenses for sports like Canikon does, and Canikon has a great large variety/range.  I have the Panasonic 35-100mm F/2.8 and it is pretty good (not long enough), but can't compare to a Canon or Nikon 600mm F/4 lens.   Now there are a small number of M43 and NEX users out there using those long "sports/action" lenses and getting good results manually focusing, but they don't have their livelihood riding on their results.

So, I don't think anyone should pick a system because of the latest sensor or camera body, but they should instead look at the lenses available and decide which will work best for them over the years and decades.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow