Does the Nikon 70-200mm F4 take TC's ?

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
midimid Forum Member • Posts: 78
Re: Yep. Nikon 1.4, 1.7, and 2

Joe Huckleberry wrote:

Does auto-focus work with all three?

The way that I understand this is that certain points have a maximum aperture and its also dependent on the camera.

In the case of the D7100 (which is only relevant to me because its my only DSLR), the TC20 III with an f4 70-200mm has an effective max aperture of f8. According to the specs for my camera :

(D7100 specs): "The electronic rangefinder can be used with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster (the electronic rangefinder supports the center focus point with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/8 or faster)"

...which to me means that on a D7100 with the TC20III, I can only use the center focus point to autofocus.

With the D600, it appears to be the center 7 focus points:

(D600 specs): "The electronic rangefinder can be used with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster (the electronic rangefinder supports the center 7 focus points with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/8 or faster and the center 33 focus points with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/6.8 or faster)"

midimid's gear list:midimid's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow