Which noise reduction software do you use?

Started Jan 5, 2014 | Polls thread
calson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,016
Why not test them all

The noise reduction in Photoshop is as good as any third party application, only it takes longer.

I tested 4 NRe apps by downloading the free trial versions and using them on an image. I wanted to see which provided the best noise reduction with the lowest loss of detail and least compression of tonal range in the person's face.

It tool less than 30 minutes to download and install the 4 NR apps and less than 30 minutes to create 4 different output files using the same source file and then I placed these 4 pictures on a single PS sheet as layers and added text to identify each sample and then I flattened the layers and printed out the result.

Dfine 2 was the least effective in reducing noise while Noise Ninja was the most destructive of tonality in the image and Neat Image was only a little better.

Topaz Denoise produced the best combination of noise reduction, detail and tonal preservation in the pictures. It also did the best job in auto mode so would also be my first choice for batch processing lots of files.

This evaluation took very little time and provided me with exactly the information I needed.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GDB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow