Two cameraa are tossed your way...

Started Jan 19, 2014 | Discussions thread
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,182
Lesser blunt force trauma...

...if I catch the D3s, and let the D800e hit me and fall. If I catch the D800e, the impact of the D3s might cause me to drop the D800e, anyway.

I shoot at night, usually hand-held, with flash, to save time, and there is often no room for a tripod, if I have the time. Plus, my employer does not want massive files to slow the computers, and occupy massive space in the archives. The largest prints we use are 8x10 inches. During my personal time, I am more likely to shoot action than landscapes.

The D3s would be the better choice for most of my shooting, at this point in time. I may never be able to justify buying a D3/D4-series camera, but if one were to be "tossed" to me, the choice would be easy enough.

Having said that, it would be nice to acquire a D800e, (or its successor, if it has been released,) for landscapes and seascapes. It would be necessary to acquire a better tripod head, and a much better computer, to take advantage of the D800e's features, and also acquire the lenses suited for the purpose. I would continue to use my Canons for action and wildlife.

I could use a D800e at work, but would shoot it in crop mode, to keep the files smaller. (I am not allowed to process my evidentiary images; OOC JPEGs only.)

To be clear, I do not claim the title of "pro" photographer, nor assert that my needs are typical or similar to those of others.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +48 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
glo
FKS
(unknown member)
glo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow