24-105mm L f4 Vs 18-135mm STM - I think the stm is amazing

Started Jan 20, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alex 25i Forum Member • Posts: 51
24-105mm L f4 Vs 18-135mm STM - I think the stm is amazing

These new STM lens were made for video is canon's statement.  In a product video showing a test they are SUPER fast when used on a 70d. The biggest trade-off is going to be weight, the STM is much lighter.

I JUST got my L lens to work properly with AF micro-adjustments and started to test the STM vs the L lens.     I have found the L to be just a shade brighter and Very very small amount sharper.  The cost difference is large.  I got my stm for around 300.00$ street value.  The L lens is about 675.00$ street value.  These are both 5.6 iso 100  1/125 Seconds snap.  Maybe someone with a more experienced eye will feel there is a HUGE difference.  I am seeing bluring around the outside edge of the L but super sharp in the middle.   While the STM seems to hold sharpness across the board. I know there is a ton of stuff out there to compare.  I guess a lot of people like to see real world.  I put the camera at a bit off to the right of the target to get a range of focus I think about a 1.2 DOF here with the angle.

This is the L lens shot,  what do you think, it seems to be just a hair brighter.

This is the STM, just a slight darker, but very sharp.

Alex 25i's gear list:Alex 25i's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R +1 more
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow