GX7 -- falls naturally to hand and eye. Acute GAS attack!

Started Jan 17, 2014 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
OP Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Re: GX7 -- falls naturally to hand and eye. Acute GAS attack!

FrankS009 wrote:

I remember how much you felt that you needed a white or at least silver camera for the tropics. And you found a light coloured GM1 and a white G6. So I was not trying to be humourous. If you feel that a GX7 would work for you where you live, all the best getting one. It is on my list too. I have decided to get it and then the GM1. The other thing about a G6 is that it might balance the larger lenses better than the GX7. I wonder how the 100-300 felt on it.

Hiya Frank -- we have swapped enough views on this forum for me to not be confused about your response about the color.

It is accurate, of course, and is another mark against GX7. The silver one is not silver either -- it just has the silver top plate (the so-called silver GM1 suffers from the same thing).

Why on earth Panny doesn't make a proper silver camera is beyond me.

BUT -- the handling of the GX7 with the 100-300 on it was delightful. I had looked at the GX7 and thought the grip rather too wide and flat compared with the G6. Well, it is a different shape -- but it is just right in the hand as witness the fact that I had such a great grip on the camera that it seemed natural and I was not conscious of the grip. The best test of a good tool is that you aren't conscious of it -- it just works.

The G6 is similar in handling. The grip is great, but I kind of know it is there.

Of course, that is all subjective; others might have quite difference responses to these cameras.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow