A good small "companion" body for Olympus OM-D EM-1?

Started Jan 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
Neurad1
Neurad1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,452
Re: A good small "companion" body for Olympus OM-D EM-1?

Ido S wrote:

Olympus offers the VF-4 external EVF, that's basically the same as the one you're used to in the E-M1. It can also tilt up for waist-level shooting. The catch? It's only compatible with the newer PEN models (E-P5 and E-PL6), and it's very expensive - a new one can only be had for $279. There are older and inferior models, like the VF-3 and VF-2, but they're still quite expensive, and I haven't checked their compatibility.

The good thing, though, is that you don't need to spend extra on lenses, and you can even buy a camera body-only, as I suppose you already have a collection of lenses that can be shared between the E-M1 and the E-PL6.

If money is no object, then the obvious choice is the Panasonic Lumix GX7. It's a fantastic camera indeed, but pricey for a second, walkaround body.

If you waive the requirement of EVF, then the Olympus PEN E-PL5, E-PM2, Panasonic Lumix GM1, and GF6, are all worthwhile options to consider. I'd actually get the tiny GM1 for obvious reasons, despite its relative lack of physical controls. The touchscreen supposedly makes life easier on that front.

I use a VF-4 with my E-PL5. The only problem is that I have to manually switch the LCD screen/EVF on or off. The eye sensor doesn't shut off the LCD. If someone knows how to do this please let me know.

Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +44 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow