A good small "companion" body for Olympus OM-D EM-1?

Started Jan 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
aliasfox Senior Member • Posts: 1,164
Re: A good small "companion" body for Olympus OM-D EM-1?

Another vote for the E-PM2. If you get the two lens deal for $350, you can sell the two kit lenses (not too hard to get to $200, I lucked out and sold my 14-42 for $150 but kept the 40-150) and end up <$200 for a new body. If you need to, you can get the VF4 for it, I believe.

That way, you get a stabilized body with that passes for a p&s when a pancake's on it, and should have nearly identical image quality to the E-M1 in all circumstances. If you put a VF4 on it, the camera can nearly double as an E-M5 - same sensor, same viewfinder, just less-good stabilization.

I will say, however, that I'm still getting used to the touchscreen interface. I find my XZ-1 a better handling camera.

Even with the EVF, the PM2 should still come in cheaper than something like a GX7 - that said, if you think you'll always need an EVF, it may be a better choice as carrying a PM2 with EVF on it all the time doesn't seem to be the most space efficient option.

aliasfox's gear list:aliasfox's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow