A good small "companion" body for Olympus OM-D EM-1?

Started Jan 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
JYPfoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,199
Re: A good small "companion" body for Olympus OM-D EM-1?

I was I'm the market for the same thing and tried out a Panasonic GX7 for a smaller camera, slapped a 20 prime on there, and gave it a whirl. Like you I loved the E-M1 but wanted something smaller, liked the idea of having the ability to mount my lenses to either, etc.  Ended up returning it.  it wasn't that it was a bad camera, but there was just too much redundancy and for the price I paid, wasn't cost effective to have both.  I would use the E-m1 when I went out for planned shooting so having a $1,000 backup that I didn't use often wasn't the best idea.

So against conventional wisdom I bought a Ricoh GR.  Best idea ever.  it's truly compact, more so than any m4/3 outside of a GM1, but once you start mounting lenses on it, it's less compact.  i like having the bigger sensor, the leaf shutter is great, higher flash sync is great, snap focus for street work is great, I'm just really happy I bought it, I actually carry it in my briefcase to work and the last few days I was able to get some snaps of the ice freezing on the Hudson which I wouldn't have been able to get because I wouldn't carry my EM1 to work and my iPhone isn't a camera that I would use.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow