Tamron 150-600mm Lens thread number 2

Started Jan 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
quatpat Contributing Member • Posts: 944
Re: Tamron 150-600mm Lens thread number 2

zackiedawg wrote:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for some fluke that some Sony mounts got out of Japan somehow and over to some of the big camera stores here, so that the estimated Jan 17 release actually holds. But I always had a small doubt I'd get it by then, so no worries if not. I've already offloaded my 200-500mm, so I'll be shooting with my 300mm F4 + 1.4X TC exclusively for wildlife and birding for a while, until the new Tammy does get here.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Hi Justin, I was just reading your comment and couldn't help smiling a bit, because I too am thinking about getting the new Tamy... Of course I also still have the 200-500 which I rarely use, and the 400/4.5 which I use most of the time, mostly with converter. I did a RAW-comparison with samples of the Tamy from the net, comparing them to some of mine with the Minolta, and it seems like the Tamy equals pretty much my 400/4.5 + 1.4 converter in IQ. Without converter the Minolta is still a little ahead, but not by much. However, considering the low price, silent AF, and the fact that it's a zoom make the Tamy really tempting, and I am wondering whether I should finally give up on the Minolta and the old Tamy, and replace them with the new one, since my budget doesn't really allow me to have an arsenal of long lenses.

Are you for sure going to wait for the Sony-version to come out, or are you considering to go with a Canikon body for a change? If I am not mistaken you are still using the A580, whereas in the Sony line-up there isn't much future if you want to keep an OVF. As much as I am used to the A77's EVF by now and like it's advantages, there are still (too) many moments where I'd really wish to have an OVF for birding. The visibiltiy and reaction time is just not the same between the two.

I'm looking forward to reading your comments once you have your 150-600, and good luck with the purchase!

qp

quatpat's gear list:quatpat's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow