When will the mirror die?

Started Jan 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
Josh152 Senior Member • Posts: 2,021
Re: Why? Why all these posts fervently hoping and

Midwest wrote:

Josh152 wrote:

jwhphotos wrote:

praying for DSLR's to die? What is wrong?

BTW I have an EM-5 and I strongly prefer my 7D and 70D except for informal walk-around type of stuff.

Just to add some fuel to the fire, the proportion of OOF photos from the EM-5 is about the same or greater than that from my DSLR's.

Because many people on this site who use mirrorless cameras, especially m4/3, have a major inferiority complex when it comes to DSLRs. The only way than can feel confident that by going mirrorless they didn't choose a lesser camera is for mirrorless to replace DSLRS.

That seems to be the case with many people. The way to prove to themselves that they bought the better camera is to drum up talk that the one they didn't buy is 'dying' or 'obsolete' or whatever. Kind of like proving their camera is better, by default.

Reminds me of a very famous politician who won his first election by getting his opponent disqualified off of the ballot. The fact that he 'won' proved nothing (good) about him.

I have seen many a thread in the mirrorless forums about 'my viewfinder is not bright enough on a sunny day' or numerous other complaints - freezing, showing the image you just took instead of the one you're about to take (that is helpful...), all sorts of things. I've never seen anyone in the DSLR forums - even for the entry-level cameras - complain about their viewfinders.

Well the EVF is still a relatively new, and contrary to what many want to believe, complex technology compared to the mirror and prism VF which is a very mature technology that has had most of the bugs worked out.   It is no wonder the EVF has more users reporting problems.  Maybe the EVF will be able to replace the OVF one day but it is still at least a decade or two away IMO as other things such as battery life and/or microprocessor power consumption have to be improved a lot first.  That's in addition to the EVF displays themselves which sill need a lot more dynamic range as well as some more resolution.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow