When will the mirror die?

Started Jan 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
EvokeEmotion Contributing Member • Posts: 998
Re: 100 million lenses will secure its survival

Ontario Gone wrote:

Josh152 wrote:

It's just that there is no pressingly compelling reason for this to happen, and many, many reasons for it to not happen. This rather tiresome mirror less camera brigade just doesn't seem to understand that the technology they are espousing is different, but not superior, and they sound a lot like those people that come to your door to pass the word of God to you when they are least welcome.

Exactly! It's like they think just because EVFS are new they are automatically better or something.

You guys are taking the question out of context. I asked when, because only a fool will say it will never happen. Do you really surmise that a lubricated part like a reflex mirror will ALWAYS be present? It makes no sense, it's the difference between SSD and HDD man. Like it or not pure electronic is the future. The only question here is when.

That's what they say about the digital speedometer back in the 80s. As far as I can tell, we're still looking at needles gliding past numbers to tell us how fast we're going.

Now i didn't say they are better in every way NOW. We all know they are better in some ways, and worse in others. But that will change in time, lets not confuse my statements. Tell me here and now, if you were a studio portrait photographer, why on earth would you rather have a mirror present vs mirrorless?

I've watched a lot of studio sessions (a few in person), some use tripods, some hand hold, some use flash, some natural light, ect. When would possible PDAF errors (BF/FF) be an advantage, when would peaking be a bad thing, when would more vibration be considered a plus? Things are the way they are because of inertia, not because of superiority. Lenses are where the pros go, and mirrorless doesn't yet have the lenses because it's a new breed. Give MFT and Fuji time, things will change. When they do, Canikon will do the same.

Or, given the reality of sales numbers and shareholder demands, mFT dies and Fuji goes back to making film. Canon and Nikon, seeing that mirrorless is dead, continue to make mirrored DSLRs forever.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow