Nikon D3300 is $499 - how can mirrorless compete?

Started Jan 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
Will Frost Regular Member • Posts: 255
Re: 46 AF-S lenses...

sean000 wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

It's an entry-level camera, I doubt anyone with lots of non-AFS lenses would get one.

My point wsa that people buying the D3300 might find their options limited. It's probably their first DSLR and they want to expand their lens collection. The cheapest way to do that is to buy used lenses, and many of those used lenses are going to be AF-D. I watch our local Craigslist for camera gear, and I see Nikon 50mm f/1.8D primes for $65 and 35mm f/2.0D for $150. I looked into selling my 80-200mm f/2.8D (planning to purchase the 35-100mm f/2.8) and the going rate for a used one seems to be about $600. The older third-party lenses, like the excellent Tokina 12-24mm f/4, are also screwdriven.

In fact, about five years ago, this is why I went with Olympus instead of Nikon - I figured out that the entry-level Nikon I could afford couldn't focus the AF-D lenses I could afford. End of story. That, and it couldn't meter the manual focus Nikkors I'd inherited. The Olympus I bought, could.

The story would have been completely different if I'd inherited Pentax lenses. I might not have ever bought into m43. It is a good fit for the reason Sean talks about here:

People need to remember that these are camera systems and not individual cameras. If you really do not know what you want in a camera system, then you may just have to find out by trying something. A kit like the Nikon D3300 is of course a safe bet, but I see people purchase cameras like this all the time and then leave them at home most of the time. That's perfectly fine if they plan to use them at home, or only at special events. Others will place a higher value on portability, which is what led me from a Nikon D200 to m4/3. I used to be perfectly fine carrying around a camera bag with a D200 and f/2.8 Nikon zooms, but then I had kids and my needs completely changed.

Kids. I first bought an E-520, and carried it everywhere.  I experimented with leaving it on the kitchen counter, ready to go at all times, but it was still big, heavy, and had no video. Replacing it with an E-PL1 was a no-brainer.

I have been very happy with my Nikon gear in the past, and I like to see Nikon do well. I also like to see Olympus and Panasonic do well. There is no written rule that says there can't be room for multiple manufacturers and multiple camera system formats in the market.

Sean

I would like to see Nikon do well too, but I have more hope for pretty much every other manufacturer to make the cameras, and most importantly, the lenses, I want. I could have been lured back to DSLRs, if someone made a pancake 24mm/f2, or even a 18mm/f2. But that was then. Now, my list of wants is very long, and my list of needs is very short. My needs are met with what I have. It would take a lot to satisfy my list of wants, to make me want to switch.

Will

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
P S
(unknown member)
MT
MT
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow