Olympus Pen F 40mm 1.4 comments

Started Sep 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP Habs Fan27 Contributing Member • Posts: 720
Re: More Pen F reports

wb2trf wrote:

Your testing results are consistent with my testing of my Pen F 40 and of various Canon FD 50s. I don't think that you need to account for the results by factors related to your particular copies.

The only Canon FD that I've owned that would match the Pen F40 for center sharpness and contrast at 1.4 or 1.8 (of about 5 I've tested) is the FDn 50 1.2 L, which usually is quite a bit more expensive than the Pen F 40 and much bulkier.

I just picked up a Pen F 38 1.8 and had occasion to test the Pen F 38 2.8 pancake.

The 38 1.8 is remarkably good even at 1.8 and matches the sharpness of the 40 at 2. This is very excellent performance. The bokeh of the 40 is a little better, but the 38 1,8 is astoundingly small for what it is and for its optical quality.

The Pancake lens is crazy tiny, and famous for that, but is also optically very good.

Good to know.  Some have said that they found negligible difference between the Canon 50 and Pen 40.

I also had a Pen 38 1.8 for a short time but I found my copy could not keep up with the 40 mm.  It had some coating issues but I don't think that would affect resolution.  It had lower contrast than the 40 and was hazy wide open.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow