Which noise reduction software do you use?

Started Jan 5, 2014 | Polls thread
brick33308
brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,932
Re: to Basalite

My point which basalite dismissed was perhaps, just perhaps, he and you don't fully understand noise reduction using ACR. Like you I've used ACR (as well as PS and Bridge) for years, and thought I knew it all - just like basalite seems to "know" just about everything there is to know about every single topic relating to photography (even though for the life if me I can't understand why such a knowledgeable photog refuses to post even a single image online). Then I watched some of Deke McClelland's tutorials including one on noise reduction in ACR. He has quite the work flow, one I hadn't even imagined, and despite basalite's immediate dismissal of it, if you have an open mind perhaps you could learn something new.

In no way am I criticizing anyone's use of third party apps, and in fact support anyone's use of whatever tools they deploy to create images that please them. Rather, like Peano, I find basalite's unsupported, "know it all" assertions rather asinine. I have a habit (I'm not ashamed to admit) of now and then looking up all of Peano's posts because he's a brilliant retoucher and I've learned so much from him over the years. And in the course of looking at his posts, I came across this particular basalite diatribe. Then, I took a look at basalite's postings elsewhere on DPR and found that he holds himself out as an expert on just about everything and has numerous caustic exchanges with people all over DPR who, like Peano, become exasperated with his blustering and rudeness. And of course I also observed, as did several other posts, that basalite has not posted (and apparently will not post) a single basalite produced image for public consumption.

In any event, back to your situation. Your point is that you've used ACR and found it comes up short against third party apps. My point is that perhaps you haven't REALLY used ACR, at least not to its fullest, understanding the work flow of someone like Deke. If you did and actually mastered and harnessed ACR's potential, just maybe you (and God forbid, basalite) would come away with a different opinion. But until then, my suggestion that you're free to ignore, is to not make sweeping generalizations without truly being able to support them.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GDB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow