Which noise reduction software do you use?

Started Jan 5, 2014 | Polls thread
OP MichaelVadon Senior Member • Posts: 1,225
Re: DXO Times

I use DXO on a desktop 4470 with 32gb of ram, an SSD and a Nvidia GTX660 card.  I have the cache in DXO set to maximum and it caches off of the fast SSD drive.  The SSD drive is the Samsung 840 so its a faster modern version then yesteryears ssd.  Its not the fastest desktop, but its faster then the fastest laptop out there.

On this platform, DXO is not super slow, but its not like you push the button and the image pops out in a second.  There is a wait associated to process each image.  The bootup of DXO is delayed.

I love DXO and use it all the time for all my images.  I wouldn't use anything else, but I must admit its not the fastest.  In that respect I don't think Photoshop is an instant program either.

My advice would be to get the most processor you can afford.

Toermalijn wrote:

MichaelVadon wrote:

I can confirm that DXO does take some time to process. The time depends on the complexity of the picture. For example, ISO 12000 shots are going to take a long time going through the "Prime" denoising process. There is a another denoising process you can check which is faster. The good thing is that you can do other things while it is processing.

It is best to use DXO with a modern performance/gaming desktop computer. Clearly, the software was not designed for the laptop user in mind. The laptop is simply not enough power to run DXO.

Basalite wrote:

MichaelVadon wrote:

Which noise reduction software do you use and why?

I've tested all the dedicated noise reduction software on the market and Noiseware 5 is easily the best and the most capable. For example, it can apply noise by highlights, mid-tones, shadows, and colors.

I've heard other people mention DxO but from what I have seen so far it requires a ridiculous amount of time to process an image and I haven't seen any comparisons showing it to be better than Noiseware 5, or any other noise reduction app. I've been meaning to test it for a while so maybe this week I will finally test it out.

There are also laptops with 4 or 6 cores and hyperthreading and 8-16gb ram. That is a non -issue.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GDB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow