Olympus Pen F 40mm 1.4 comments

Started Sep 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP Habs Fan27 Contributing Member • Posts: 720
Re: Olympus Pen F 40mm 1.4 comments

Here is a quick test I did of the Pen F 40mm 1.4 and the Canon 50mm FD 1.4 S.S.C. I don't use either lens a whole lot but was trying to justify selling the 40mm which cost me a lot more than the Canon.

I had done some informal tests and the Pen seemed sharper. This test pretty much shows it for the copies of the lenses I have. The test is for the center area of a textured book cover with a 20$ bill taped to it about 2-3' away. NEX 5N used with focus peaking and +1 EC, converted from RAW.

Please note that for some reason the f/2.8 crops are before the f/2 crops. The f/1.7 for the Pen lens is an estimate as there are no in between clicks on the aperture ring. I also took 2 stabs at focusing at 1.4 for each lens.

My observations, Pen 40mm easily has better sharpness all the way up to 2.8. By 5.6 they are pretty even, maybe a slight edge to the Canon. Even stopping down the Pen 40mm to 1.7 (approx) gave a much better result where the little bit of haze that the is there at 1.4 is pretty much gone. The difference between 1.4 and 1.7 was only about 1/3 of a stop in shutter speed.  The Pen seems to have a bit more CA at larger apertures.  Out of focus areas (not shown in these crops) are ever so slightly smoother on the Canon but this may be due to the different focal lengths.  The Pen has more contrast at larger apertures so this may be part of the reason for this.

The Canon also usually metered about 1/3 of stop faster.  It's worth noting that my Canon lens has a dented filter ring as well so it's possible something is messed up internally but it seems to function properly and is still very sharp stopped down.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow