Declining MFT/mirrorless camera sales?

Started Jan 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
dinoSnake Veteran Member • Posts: 3,186
Re: Declining MFT/mirrorless camera sales?

Reg Natarajan wrote:

If I may say so, you're asking the wrong people.

It's been clear to me for some time now that the readers here are generally gearheads and, in many cases, the gear takes precedence over photography. I don't mean this as a slam, although I realize it may sound like one. Some people collect stamps. Others collect camera gear. It harms nobody.

I'm also the wrong person to ask for different reasons. To my surprise, I find myself far less interested in camera phones than I thought I would be, even though I'm technically oriented and am generally very friendly to new technology. I just like holding well crafted cameras in my hands when I take photos and have settled on Fuji X as my preferred system.

The readership here doesn't matter and I don't matter. Those of us who read this site are in the tiny minority. What matters is the overwhelming majority of people who are quite happy with the results they're getting from their phones, and who are turning photography into an art form that is vastly more timely and relevant than it ever was before, although admittedly at the expense of some level of craftsmanship. Many here don't like it and some of those are vocal about it but they really have no say in the matter. None of us do. The marketplace will make its decisions without consulting us.

You make excellent points Reg. I relate to exactly what you comment on the changing photography as an art form. I was a draftsperson for 45 years and drawing with an inked nib pen on vellum required true craftsmanship and talent, then computers came along and the last company I worked for I was the only drafter that could draw by hand. The computer, with a good technician at the keyboard, will print beautiful drawings. I would sometimes look at my old hand drawings next to a computer generated one and miss the old days and the more personal aspects on a hand drawn detail. The individual hand lettering, adjusting line widths on the nib pen to make certain details stand out, and any number of personal styles one would place on the vellum. Now many of us old film shooters look at digital images they same way, the digital images are stunning yet looking at my old Kodachromes leaves me missing that craftsmanship also. Nailing the correct exposure on slide film was a thing of joy. The anticipation of awaiting your images to be processed, and the surprise when you caught an image you weren't impressed with at the time pushing the shutter button only to find a magical photo that took your breath away. Please forgive the ramblings of an old man.

Boy, do I miss Kodachrome. I miss, as you say, doing that very deliberate setup and scene analysis in hopes of nailing the perfect exposure that was required on slide film. The joy of holding your original, the mounted slide, and seeing the depth of the dye layers on the material.

But those days are gone forever. Kodachrome is gone as is my ability, nay my desire, to lug a 350 f/2.8 with its resulting support gear in order to spend 1/2 hour on just the setup. I guess many are around to fill that role, my life is no longer that simple and on a sunny day I would rather be on a screaming metal 2-wheel death trap anyway.

Those memories are in the past and as fond as I am of them, I have no wish to repeat them. I have new frontiers of life to explore and, as they say, I've learned you can never go home again.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow