Please educate me on stop down metering.

Started Dec 28, 2013 | Questions thread
Kent J
Kent J Senior Member • Posts: 2,378
Apparently not... Bummer

cosmicnode wrote:

Engandiyur wrote:

Can you please correct me on this topic? What I have understood is:

1. Set the desired aperture on the lens.

Press the depth of field button to stop down the lens, works in Manual only, and half press the shutter release button then manually set the shutter speed, on the + or- scale in the viewfinder by turning the rear control dial

3. Fully depress the shutter release to take the picture.

I haven't used this method myself but if I am wrong I am sure that someone will correct me.

Well, what you describe is how I remember the film bodies worked. I was interested in doing this on my Df since it mounts the pre-AI lenses, but without any kind of aperture coupling.  However, when I hit the DOF Preview button, the camera engages the exposure lock, so the meter registers no change (even though you can see the dimming in the VF)!

I don't remember if this happened in my other DSLRs or not.  You all might check.  So this form of stop-down metering doesn't look like it is possible, unless there is a way to override this behavior.

Kent J's gear list:Kent J's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow