RX10 'motor' noise recorded in video - what can I do?

Started Dec 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
edform
edform Senior Member • Posts: 4,738
Re: Read the thread further

lancespring wrote:

gskolenda wrote:

That can easily be fixed in post with a good audio program, many of them can in crease the signal to noise ratio. In fact I do it a lot, and I don't use in camera mics, I use a Audio-Technic short shotgun mic, I love it it works very well. I do this for just my own personal stuff, If I have a client that is paying me for video service, then I use a H4N Zoom recorder and sync in post.

I also use the in camera mics to help sync in post faster.

Most of the DSlr cameras, and mirror less cameras have pretty poor pre-amps in them. So that would not discourage me from getting one or shooting with it.

It is apparent that some RX10's are experiencing significant problems. Issues that could not be easily fixed in post processing.

Read the rest of this thread, and you will better understand the situation.

I've been involved with Pro and HiFi audio at a professional level for longer than some contributors here have been breathing and believe me, 2eyesee's camera had glaringly faulty microphone amps. A filter setup good enough to loose the noise would have savaged the sound quality and still would not have dealt with the shot noise. My personal RX10 has no hiss at all and has to be pushed pretty hard to reveal any damaging audio signature at which point it's just the usual nonsense that low bit-rate digital processing produces. To actually bring up the noise floor so that hiss becomes audible needs as much as 5-7 dB more than that.

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow