Fun little A7R Test

Started Jan 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 6,920
Fun little A7R Test

This is not scientific. This is just for fun. The Sigma 35/1.4 Art lens is generally considered one of the sharpest lenses around (certainly for the money). I use it all the time on my Canon 6D. I took a picture with it and decided to take the same picture on the A7R when it arrived today with the FE Zeiss 55. I shot both wide open. I also attached a Canon FDn 50/1.4 and shot it wide open as well on the A7R. Certainly, a real test wouldn't compare 35, 50, and 55. I suppose 50 and 55 on the same camera is not bad, but 35 on a completely different camera trying to get the same perspective is not an appropriate test. But I did it. I took all RAW files into Lightroom (whatever the latest version is) and applied the exact same settings in LR (and it wasn't much . . . a bit of sharpness, slight noise reduction, vignetting and some contrast).

Canon 6D and Sigma 35

The 6D shot is the only one where I just relied on focus and recompose (obviously, it has no focus peaking and I prefer using focus peaking). But I am fairly practiced with focusing and recomposing and keeping the focus where I want it, which is usually eyes.

Same lighting, but I think the flowers were rearranged a bit before the A7R arrived so the flower in the background no longer appears (darn).

A7R with Canon FDn 50/1.4

and finally, the Zeiss 55 (using DMF and focus peaking):

A7R with FE Zeiss 55/1.8

I now see I used 1/100 on my Canon 6D. Darn. I almost always default to 1/125 and speed up from there. Dang. But the ISO changed even between the 50/1.4 and 55/1.8, I see, which makes sense. You don't go from f/1.4 to f/1.8 and not have to pay the piper. Heh.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow