Declining MFT/mirrorless camera sales?

Started Jan 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
Eric Nepean
Eric Nepean Veteran Member • Posts: 4,316
Re: Declining MFT/mirrorless camera sales?

Len_Gee wrote:

Greetings,

A non-geek photog ( she shoots with a Canon G12 on Auto Mode ) emailed this article to me:

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2013/12/29/business/29reuters-japan-cameras.html?hp&_r=3&

So, she got me an iPhone5 as a Christmas present. The iPhone5 camera IQ is not too bad in good light and makes it convenient to upload pics for sharing on social media sites , self pics of my travels, and to quickly email pics to friends and family. Not so good IQ in restaurant/pubs, just OK, I reckon.

I'm thinking of just using iPhone5 as the backup to my existing MFT or Sony RX100 when on vacation trips since I'm just a casual photo enthusiast snapping memory type photos. And I have no illusions of taking award winning Nat Geo type photos. I'm at the age where small and light kit is good.

Questions:

Do you agree with the NYT article?

Some parts re OK. The rest, no.

How many of you are planning to add more MFT/mirrorless cameras or lenses to your stable in 2014?

I have a very complete MFT kit right now. Considered replacing an existing MFT camera but decided to wait until there is a successor to the GM1 or the GX7.

Why? Need or G.A.S. ?

I can't honestly say that I have a need for any camera or lens. But I don't consider that I have G.A.S.  either - acquisitions are planned at least 6 months in advance and stay with me for many years. I very rarely switch camera lines.

And, do you use your smartphone as primary backup to your MFT /mirrorless kit(s)?

My smart phone is my back up for my point & shoot travel camera, which is not a backup for my MFT cameras. Might consider replacing the the P&S with the GM1 or GM2.

Regards and happy 2014.

And to you and yours.

-- hide signature --

Eric

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow