A77 too heavy for lengthy video.

Started Jan 2, 2014 | Discussions thread
IanML Senior Member • Posts: 1,653
Re: A77 too heavy for lengthy video.

The video capability of my SLT is something I think of as a bonus of use for an unanticipated opportunity.

If I know I want to take video, I use a much lighter camcorder, which has a very large optical zoom range without the weight penalty of a superzoom lens.  It takes better video, because the sensor has the right number of pixels for HD video, and it does not require image-degrading line skipping which the SLTs do.  It is much easier to handle - I can do everything with one hand whilst using the other (if required) to steady myself.  It has an EVF, so I don't need to use the LCD screen (pretty useless in bright light), and holding it against my head gives it plenty of steadiness.  The focus tracking is excellent and silent.  The only thing it lacks is a small dof.

Horses for courses.

If you must have a camera which does both pretty well, the a7 seems to me to be a better compromise, but even that gets very heavy if you want a large zoom range.

-- hide signature --

Ian

IanML's gear list:IanML's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow