RX10 'motor' noise recorded in video - what can I do?

Started Dec 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP 2eyesee Senior Member • Posts: 2,159
Re: I think that there is a quality control issue here

lancespring wrote:

There may indeed be a quality control problem with the audio in the RX10. I am going to call Sony Support as well, as the hissing level that I am getting is not acceptable either.

The founder of the RX10 User Group on Facebook just posted this tonight, which I think you will find most interesting:

Guy Bodin:

FYI -

Just a bit of info regarding my RX10 that was purchased a few weeks ago.....I am pretty familiar with the video and audio capabilities of Sony cameras/camcorders since I own 3 of them. During my first 2 weeks of owning the RX10 I videoed 3 events...each with small music performances. The video was wonderful, but the audio was terrible....too much hissing, cracks, distortion, cutouts, etc.

Checking all my audio settings, I continued to test to see if I could sort out the audio problem. Nothing worked for me. I even went out and bought a Rode Video Pro mic and gave that a try......the Rode is very good and improved certain issues, but the hissing, cracking, etc. continued even with the Rode. I finally gave up and returned to my local Pro Photo Supply store in Portland Oregon USA and discussed the issue with my expert salesperson. He replaced my RX10 with a new one that they had in stock.

I went home and tried everything out and the audio problem was solved...the on-camera audio was excellent and the Rode even worked perfect. I am so happy that I buy all my equipment from my local pro dealer. Note: Now here is something strange about the 2 cameras....my first RX10 had a very speedy zoom when using the zoom toggle near the shutter button.....my new RX10 has a much slower zoom speed.....there is a definite difference......now I see why some reviewers complain about the zoom toggle speed. But for me....great audio trumps that zoom speed issue. I love my RX10 and even love it more since the audio sounds so great.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rx10photo/permalink/802706786412649/

That is very interesting - thanks for drawing it to my attention. I will pass this on to my Sony salesman.

Sorry to hear you are in the same predicament as me - but it's just as well you checked it out rather than just accepting it is normal for the RX10.

Would you say your unit sounds as bad as mine, based on the sample I provided?

The link you provided and your own experience suggests there may be a more widespread problem than just my faulty unit. Please keep this thread updated with any feedback you get from Sony - I'll of course do likewise.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow