Declining MFT/mirrorless camera sales?

Started Jan 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
Identity Senior Member • Posts: 1,065
Re: Marketing/ supply issues in the U.S.

Barry Stewart wrote:

Sean, being from Vancouver Canada, can attest to the strong presence of µ4/3 cameras in his local market. I'm east of him, in a city of less than 100,000, yet I can walk into at least two local stores and put my hands on probably 10 or more Panasonic or Olympus µ4/3 cameras and a good variety of lenses and accessories. (The E-M1 is a special-order item so far, but the E-M5 is there, as is the GX7.)

Refreshingly, the pricing is so competitive (and service at London Drugs photo department so good) that I'm not interested in shopping cross-border. If there's any saving, it's not worth the extra hassle.

I often hear at DPR of Americans who have to travel long distances to find stores that carry µ4/3 gear. I'm not sure what comes first: the appetite for smaller, the marketing, or the supply chains. Certainly, you need all three.

I live on Vancouver Island, and will concur with your assessment of London Drugs - they have a great selection of mirrorless (and other) cameras and lenses, including nearly every Olympus, Fuji, Panasonic, and Sony model. They also have great prices and great service. Considering it's a camera counter in a drug store, it's really quite impressive  

Anecdotally, they told me that the OM-D sells at a pretty good rate at my local store.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow