Do we really need Sandisk Extereme Pro 95mbps read & 90mbps write speed?

Started Dec 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Aberaeron Senior Member • Posts: 6,540
Re: Do we really need Sandisk Extereme Pro 95mbps read & 90mbps write speed?

39 Steps wrote:

Aberaeron wrote:

Speak as I find. You may observe that I have used it in a Sony A57, which, last time I looked, is an SLT.

I have the same indistinguishable results with all my cameras.

IIRC previous threads suggested that the A57 can clear the buffer no faster than about seven (7) seconds, and that is with the use of the Sandisk Extreme 45 MB/s SD cards or better.

Faster cards than 45 MB/s reportedly do not increase write speed or decrease required buffer clearing time, but slower Class 10 rated cards barely meeting Class 10 write speed may increase the 7 second buffer clearing hiatus to as long as 29 seconds or so.

That was also my testing experience with my A57s and my SD cards of various write speeds from 10 MB/s up to 45 MB/s. However I rarely shoot bursts deliberately, except for test purposes.

That is my experience, although I have not used anything slower than a 45mb/s when burst shooting. The 95mb/s card does not seem to provide an advantage.

You illustrate an important point. Even if such high speed cards do provide a measurable advantage, it is an advantage that a high proportion of photographers will seldom realise.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow