Declining MFT/mirrorless camera sales?

Started Jan 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,924
Re: Declining MFT/mirrorless camera sales?

Len_Gee wrote:

Greetings,

A non-geek photog ( she shoots with a Canon G12 on Auto Mode ) emailed this article to me:

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2013/12/29/business/29reuters-japan-cameras.html?hp&_r=3&

So, she got me an iPhone5 as a Christmas present.

Nice friend

The iPhone5 camera IQ is not too bad in good light and makes it convenient to upload pics for sharing on social media sites , self pics of my travels, and to quickly email pics to friends and family. Not so good IQ in restaurant/pubs, just OK, I reckon.

Haven't justified the cost of a smart phone yet... either you pay $$$ for the plan or the phone.  Hardly ever do self portraits, and when I do travel photos, I want some decent image quality, and a bit of room to crop... And I take more than a few shots in marginal light.

I'm thinking of just using iPhone5 as the backup to my existing MFT or Sony RX100 when on vacation trips since I'm just a casual photo enthusiast snapping memory type photos. And I have no illusions of taking award winning Nat Geo type photos. I'm at the age where small and light kit is good.

Nothing wrong w that if it serves your needs... don't worry about someone else's needs or wants.

Questions:

Do you agree with the NYT article?

Can't speak for others, but a smartphone won't replace my kit any time soon

How many of you are planning to add more MFT/mirrorless cameras or lenses to your stable in 2014?

If financing permits, and the price comes down, I'll pick up an E-M1 before I send off my battle worn E-M5 for it's free cleaning

Why? Need or G.A.S. ?

A few upgrades over my current cam... not a need, however, so I can wait

And, do you use your smartphone as primary backup to your MFT /mirrorless kit(s)?

Don't own a smartphone, but will eventually get one... Primary backup?  Not likely.  I want one for other reasons- navigation, weather, email, books/guides, banking, shopping assistant (did you know Home Depot has an App that will show you where in the store a given item is located?  I imagine other retailers have that too?)

Regards and happy 2014.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow