Sony RX 100 ii - Very Initial Thoughts
Just got the Sony RX 100 ii in hand. Spent some time going over settings and even making a mistake by creating folders manually that I figured out how to remove (eventually)
For those that do not have the camera here is my very preliminary impressions after playing a bit.
- RX 100 ii is very small, palm size
- It literally costs $100/inch
- Definitely buy a hand grip, Sony or the Richard Franiec accessory grip which I just ordered
- Think Tank mirror-less mover 5 camera bag works
- Buy the external charger that includes the battery at point of sale, seems to make the most cost sense to me out of the gate.
- Stabilization in movie mode seems good, need more testing today maybe for New Years Eve
- LCD does pick up thumb prints easily it seems, I'll check out a LCD cover thing for it
- Use the AutoFocus Area mode for autofocus or the camera will mess things up if you let the camera decide. Just use the focus lock/recompose technique
- Turn off the camera explanations as you change to various modes via the dial unless you really do not know what they are for the novice. To others it is fairly self explanatory.
- Buy a table top tripod like a small Joby/Gorilla Pod as a out of box idea for video. Set the ring on the camera to zoom for the only point of contact. Still Playing, but can't hurt IMO
- Dislikes so far- -
- What I do not like or am not use to maybe is the menu diving. Just seems more involved then it needs to be
- Camera would still be perfectly fine if it were a good 2 or 3 inches taller and wider proportionally. The size of the Fuji X20 is small but easy to handle. The Sony I feel bunched up holding this. I hope the hand grip helps IMHO it is a must have accessory.
- Buttons are smallish, but it is a small camera as it stands. It is what it is.
I ordered the external microphone to test but that is a few days from arriving. It was an after thought.
|Blue and yellow in water by fireplace33|
from Ink and water
|Kylmä joki kopio by Kaappo|
from Shutter speed 1/25 or slower
|WR_2.8_13 copy copy by photoprof|