Do we really need Sandisk Extereme Pro 95mbps read & 90mbps write speed?

Started Dec 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Vikas Rana
OP Vikas Rana Contributing Member • Posts: 916
Re: Do we really need Sandisk Extereme Pro 95mbps read & 90mbps write speed?

DaPonti wrote:

Vikas Rana wrote:

for PNY 64Gb they have not mentioned the write speed. They only said that it have a transfer speed of 90mbps but that could only be the read speed. Sony do the same in India, they mention 90mbps transfer speed but if we look on their support site they differentiates the write and read speed.

Exactly my point. You ask if it's worth spending extra for 90MB/s (not mbps) write speed and my answer is "No, here is a card that writes at only about 60 MB/s and will offer virtually the same experience as a 3 times more expensive Extreme Pro on your a58 or any other camera which doesn't support UHS-1".

I see here that you achieve 2 fps with the extreme pro on the last 4 pictures (roughly 500 ms between each). I just tried and I get the same performance with this PNY for instance, and would probably with any card that can sustain at least 25 MB/s on individual files the size of those JPEGs.

On a side note, if you really want the top burst performance with an SLT that doesn't support UHS-1, it would be worth investigating the Memory Stick Pro Duo HG HX, with its higher theoretical transfer limit. I get the same performance with a 3 years old 8 GB Memory Stick and I can tell you that card is much slower in my computer.

So if the latest 32 GB models offer higher write speeds, then you may end up with better performance than with any SD (although it's probably not worth the price difference either, to get back to your original question).

Thanks DaPonti. I am not going for Sandisk Pro right now ($100 for 32GB) is pretty expensive. I can get PNY after march but it will be without warranty. Sony 32GB cost here $40 so its the best value memory card with warranty for me right now

Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow