RX10 'motor' noise recorded in video - what can I do?

Started Dec 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
edform Senior Member • Posts: 4,400
Re: Did Sony deliberately cripple the RX10's audio?

lancespring wrote:

To encourage us to buy their XLR microphone adapter??? I wonder.

That adapter costs $800, though, and requires use of a bracket in order to use on the RX10.

I think that is an unfair speculation. I judge the built in microphones and amplfier to be of decent quality with the two provisos that the mics are minute and, therefore, seriously omnidirectional, and the amps have typical digital signatures - the characteristic water-lapping-against-stones sound of digital processing with too few bits - but only at unlikely overall gain settings (mic amp gain + external playback amp gain). The first problem can be solved by plugging in an external microphone with directional characteristics but, if you want broadcast quality audio, the second needs external electronics as well. In the latter circumstances the audio kit you highlighted is reasonable value considering it includes a very good shotgun mic, pro-quality microphone amplifiers and audio controls, and locking XLR connectors- not cheap but come with me to the pro-audio store and I'll show you what overpriced really means. (:oD)

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow