Is this photo noisy or normal according to you (A77+SAL70300G SSM)

Started Dec 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
artlmntl Senior Member • Posts: 1,804
Re: The camera is a mismatch for you

kartikjayaraman wrote:

artlmntl wrote:

The only way it matters is if you're cropping into the image and using the crop at 100%; and everyone knows there is a price for doing that.

-- hide signature --

Yup, and many bird/wildlife photographers would agree that cropping is essential. Its even more essential when you use Spot Focus and then crop to compose. 24 MP should enable heavy cropping and still provide acceptable photos, which I am not (yet) seeing. At least at ISO 100 - ISO 400 I was expecting lesser "grain" or "noise" - not sure what to call it. Just my opinion, this could be a non issue to many shooters.

And yes, if you start at 12 MP, cropping is going to create very small pictures.

I wouldn't do that, anyway. I like maximum resolution in my RAW file. But I am a bit confused. You upgraded your camera to document the birth and growth of your child. Yet, you judged your A77's performance based on bird snaps. That makes no sense.

Had you kept the A77, I suspect you would have done the bulk of your shooting with the 16-50 and with a flash as needed. You might crop away 1/4 to 1/3 of the image; but you would still have more than enough resolution to process and downsample to get to 5x7, 8x10, or even larger.

On the bright side, the A99 should do a great job for you. So perhaps it's all for the best.

-- hide signature --

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow