GM1 on a DJI Phantom quadrocopter - too heavy

Started Dec 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BJN
BJN Veteran Member • Posts: 5,057
GM1 on a DJI Phantom quadrocopter - too heavy

Just a quick report in case anyone else is thinking about flying the Panasonic DMC-GM1 on the DJI Phantom quadrocopter...the camera is too heavy for this platform.

I needed to add some hardware to mount the larger camera, including standoffs to extend the landing gear. I mounted the camera with this: http://vectormount.com/dji-quadrotor-camera-mounting-kit-5-piece-238.html and had to point the camera backwards to get the center of gravity balanced enough for takeoff. While I could get the Phantom and camera off the ground, the high level of thrust needed to just hover had the quad shaking badly and struggling to maintain position. I have a few extra grams of weight on my Phantom from a vibration isolation mount, but I don't see any way to shave enough weight to make the GM1 a comfortable payload for the Phantom.

I'll need to assess whether or not I find the GM1 useful enough to keep it. A larger, more powerful quad would certainly work with the camera but I can't rationalize that kind of investment at this point.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

BJN's gear list:BJN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
BJN
BJN
BJN
BJN
BJN
BJN
BJN
BJN
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow