Shutter life/failure on the NEX's.....

Started Jan 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
PVCdroid Senior Member • Posts: 4,346
Re: Shutter life/failure on the NEX's.....

Jokica wrote:

Thank you, captura. Thank you, Richie Beans.

Yes, it is recommendable to turn the camera of before swapping lenses.

OK, now I have camera (5N) in my hand. I have found in the menu:

Front Curtain Shutter: ON/OFF

I would really appreciate if someone can explain what does this means, in terms of camera performance and shutter life.

Per the handbook, the Front Curtain Shutter is on as default and should only be turned off if using legacy Minolta/Konika-Minolta lenses. With any digital camera, I don't think you should be changing lenses with the camera on. Here are the handbook notes:

Front Curtain Shutter

-The electronic front curtain shutter function shortens the time lag between shutter releases.

- When you shoot at high shutter speeds with a large diameter lens attached, the ghosting of a blurred area may occur, depending on the subject or shooting conditions. In such cases, set this item to [Off].

- When a Minolta/Konika-Minolta lens is used, set this item to [Off]. If you set this item to [On], the correct exposure will not be set or the image brightness will be uneven.

I did have to have the shutter replaced on my NEX-7 which I bought on Amazon "Used like new" in June. Sony did this under warranty and returned the camera in a week. I was getting sporadic "camera error" messages especially with multiple exposure shots or slow shutter speeds. I lived with this for a month and it didn't get worse during that time. Since I received the camera back from Sony I have 15,853 actuations on the shutter with no other issues and no "camera error" since. I tested it when I got it back and the number of actuations had been reset by Sony.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow