Promaster 5550 DX Flash

Started Dec 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
JNR
JNR Senior Member • Posts: 2,809
Re: Don't do it.

Russell Evans wrote:

You don't want that Promaster module. It is TTL only and manual at 1/1 and 1/16. That's very limiting on a modern Pentax DSLR. It's probably fine if you have a *istD, istDS, and fine with some film bodies that can do TTL, but trying work with just two manual settings on a newer Pentax DSLR isn't worth the money spent. I have either the Promaster or the Quantaray AF module, there's no way to tell as there isn't any branding on the unit, that I use with a couple of ZX film bodies I bought. The ZX-60 I have does P-TTL, but I've never tried the 5050DXR with it. I wonder if it would work?

Thank you
Russell

That makes sense, absolutely. Auto mode is much more valuable. The Promaster website shows no useful information about the modules. There is a standard module (generic - not brand specific), but again, no explanation. That unit (priced the same) might have Auto in place of TTL, but you never know because of the poor documentation.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow