How to create soft flash light on-camera?

Started Dec 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP Mark9473 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,253
Re: How to create soft flash light on-camera?

Stephen Knox wrote:

There are gadgets to apply to an on-board flash, but the problem is that on-board flashes already lack power and adding a light modifier will diminish it's reach even more, leaving you needing to up the ISO and introduce noise.

Your best bet really is a speedlight like the SB700 (if you have a Nikon camera), which has other advantages besides more power, i.e. the ability to bounce the flash off ceilings and walls, not to mention being able to trigger it off camera.

I'm not opposed to buying something equivalent to a Nikon Speedlight; that's still an on-camera solution. I have used "auto" flashes in the past and sometimes still do. I realize a TTL flash would offer better flash exposure control, but it doesn't change the fact that it is still harsh light.

I have done some bounce flash, but for example my parents have a dark stained wood ceiling so that's not a general solution.

I think some kind of flash diffuser could be a solution. Any particular models or designs that can be recommended?

-- hide signature --

Mark

Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow