Chromatic Aberration with Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8G

Started Dec 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
aleksdanger Junior Member • Posts: 37
Chromatic Aberration with Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8G

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but I feel the Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8G is giving me more CA than I had ever expected.

I haven't used it a great deal since I got it a few weeks ago, but here are a few example images

This image shows the extent of the colour fringing/chromatic aberration:

Nikon D7100 with Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8G at f/1.8, 1/750s and ISO100 (also, this is the best AF could come up with on D7100)

Nikon D7100 with Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8G at f/1.8, 1/750s and ISO100 (also, this is the best AF could come up with on D7100)

No visible fringing at higher apertures, though:

Nikon D7100 with Nikon AF-S 85mm f1/8G at f/8.0, 1/45s and ISO100

I guess I'm trying to figure out whether this is normal for this lens, and how to best deal with it? I've heard such great reviews of this lens at its price point, and after looking at its test results on dxomark.com I never suspected it would produce such awful fringing.

Also, is there a difference between Chromatic Aberration and Fringing?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Even if they're just links to articles that would adequately describe what I'm experiencing here. If it's normal, then I guess I'll just look at ways of avoiding it.

Cheers

Aleks

aleksdanger's gear list:aleksdanger's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon 85mm F1.8G
Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow