my take on sony HX50V

Started Dec 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
terrylau Regular Member • Posts: 340
my take on sony HX50V

I have bought this camera for over a month and here are my comments :

1>I am attracted to this camera for its small size (which encouraged me to carry it daily ),30x long zoom ,manual controls and availability of a hot shoe and cheap price . Feature wise it is much improved from former model HX30V .

2> videos quality is quite good .It is far easier to hold steady by hand compared with a heavy DSLR and the electric zoom facilate smoother zoom action .The steadyshot works well . However as with most digital cameras the sound quality is just so-so and can be improved .An external microphone can be attached via hotshoe but this entails additonal costs and bulk .

3>Sony have eliminated the inconvenience of requiring users to select different playback modes for videos and stills.

4> the powerful zoom is a revelation
which enable far away objects such as birds, licence plates ,buildings names etc to be pulled in

5> However the biggest issues I noticed is the high noise and water color effect of the pictures even when ISO and zoom is relatively low and lighting conditions quite bright . The sensor of 1/2.3 inch is quite common for compacts and there are certainly better results from other models either from Sony or others.MY RX100 is streets ahead in picture quality .
Wonder if this can be improved by a firmware update should Sony decide to do it .

Any similiar experiences ?

terrylau's gear list:terrylau's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony SLT-A77 +2 more
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow