Leaning towards buying either a D700 or a 58mm f1.4G

Started Dec 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,973
A possible solution.

Stacey_K wrote:

Nikonparrothead wrote:

Actually the D200 is a CCD based camera and the D700 is CMOS based (I've owned both) and the color won't b similar. You should be able to set up the Jpegs to have a similar color profile (the same is true for the D7000 or D600 or D610).

I tried a -lot- of adjustments to the D7K and never got the color OOC I wanted. Close but when people of different skin types were shot, I'd have to change picture controls (or PP) to get this other skin type right OOC. I am OCD when it comes to color/skin tones and the D200 really does a great job on a wide variety of skin types for me. To be able to simply crop and save shots without dealing with PP color adjustments on hundreds of individual shots is a key factor for me.

I agree the 58 is pretty $$$ and might not even be the solution.

One other solution that would allow me to continue using my D200 (and have to deal with sensor change from what I know works well for me), is a 35-70 F2.8D. I gain a stop less DOF over the sigma I own and from what I've read, this lens is pretty nice. On the long end = 105mm on FX which is a nice focal length. For a few hundred I can get a nice one from KEH. Still might need to use the 85mm for head shots (or maybe not) but maybe this lens would give some flexibility in framing that I am looking for?

The D300 is in many ways a better camera than the D200. Much faster, uses much less battery power, higher resolution (12mp vs 10mp), etc., etc. etc. But it doesn't have the D200's colors. Unless ...

I have owned my D300 for about 3 months now and overall it appears to be a very good camera and in some respects it definitely supercedes the D200 which i also have.

One area where i seriously have some reservations is the tonal and brightness of the images which quite clearly sometimes are not for immediate viewing after images have been taken.

An example of this was some photos i took of a brother and sister today. I used studio lights and with manual settings of f11 and 1/160. The histogram on the camera showed no evidence of clipping at either end but the images came out very light and in need of contrast saturation etc. I shot in raw and JPEG in neutral.

Whilst this may seem to be the norm with the D300 this never seemed to happen with the D200 which was a totally consistent performer.

Maybe i just need to accept that the D300 needs a lot more post processing than the D300 or why could Nikon not have added the best bits of the D200 with the D300 to give equal performance.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/28104617

Nikon did.

Have you tried the D2x Mode 1 Picture Control?

I think that you'll find the D2x modes go a long way towards solving your issues. However, the D300 is a LOT more "fearless" about blown highlights than my D70 was. I found that the D70, out of the box, had at least 2/3 stops of underexposure bias built into it's base Tone Curve for the mid tones and up. Which I cured by building a custom Tone Curve for the D70 that boosted the mid tones up a bit so I could print straight from the camera without any Post processing. With my D300 I have found that just by loading the D2x Mode ! Picture Control I get a tone balance in my images that is nearly a perfect match for that curve that I spent well over 2 months tweaking for my D70. Which means that I can print straight from the camera as long as the lighting is somewhat normal. With high contrast lighting, I have found that by shooting RAW and intentionally dialing in 1/2 to 2/3 stop of intentional over exposure, I can get an image that will permit me to post for the shadows without worrying about blown highlights. However, taste in regards to image tonality can very widely, so you may want to dial in an additional 1/6 to 1/3 stop of negative calibration into the meter if you find that you prefer a slightly darker mid tone than the D2x Mode 1 provides.

Bottomline, the D300 is probably the MOST "tuneable" camera that I have ever used. So explore all the tuning options that Nikon has made available becaue I am quite sure that with the correct tweaks, you and tune your D300 so that it perfectly matches what you saw from your D200. And yeah, Nikon should really think about making it easy by loading a set of D200 Picture Controls on their web site where they can be downloaded. Since they haven't done that yet, the D2x Picture Controls are the next best bet and I think that you'll be pleased with the results using them. They probably won't match your D200 exactly, but they'll probably be so close that you may not care. And, if you do want an exact match, using the meter calibration feature in the D300 will probably get you there.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/28105355

Nikon D3 and D300 now support 'D2x mode'

Nikon, obviously realizing that many users of its previous flagship DSLR will be migrating to its successors, has made available 'Picture Controls' aiming to emulate the color reproduction of the D2X(s) on the new D3 and D300. There are three such controls, mirroring the original color modes I to III. These settings may be used as a base point to add further tweaks and should prove a major time-saver to photographers wishing to upgrade their camera bodies and continue with their existing workflow. The Picture Controls are available now via Nikon's website, links after the jump.

Download links:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2007/11/27/nikond2xmode

Details

When these optional Picture Controls are registered with the D300 digital-SLR camera, which supports the Picture Control System, color reproduction simulating that of the D2X and D2XS is possible;
This is a set of three optional Picture Controls, one for each of the three D2X/D2XS Color mode settings;
When the optional Picture Controls are registered with the D300 digital-SLR camera, color reproduction simulating that of images captured with the D2X and D2XS is possible, and custom Picture Controls can also be created based on these optional Picture Controls;
For black-and-white images, use the standard Monochrome Nikon Picture Control;

D2XMODE1: This optional Picture Control simulates color reproduction at a D2X/D2XS Color mode setting of I. Skin tones and gradations are reproduced naturally with rich reproduction of tones;

D2XMODE2: This optional Picture Control simulates color reproduction at a D2X/D2XS Color mode setting of II. This optional Picture Control is suited to images that will be extensively processed or retouched;

D2XMODE3: This optional Picture Control simulates color reproduction at a D2X/D2XS Color mode setting of III. Choose for nature or landscape shots. Greens and blues are vividly reproduced.

http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5707

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow