Leaning towards buying either a D700 or a 58mm f1.4G

Started Dec 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 650
Perspective Distortion and Sharpness

I use the 60G all the time, too.  +1 for its effectiveness on DX.

The only thing I don't really like about it: its wild ghosting flare pattern.  Mira is right, above, that the 60G is highly resistant to both ghosting and veiling flare--nano coating, a tiny front element, and a deep hood all do their job.  But on the rare occasions you do get ghosting flare, it's crazy: like a giant rainbow-streaked eyelash stamped across your frame!   It's the least photogenic flare pattern I've ever seen, by far--there's clearly something unique about the way light can bounce around the 60G's floating element groups.

Cliff Fujii wrote:

I guess it all depends on the subject matter. I wouldn't use the 60 for a H&S portrait because of the inherent perspective distortion that such a short lens would have.

On DX too?  The OP would be using it on a D200.

60mm x 1.5 = 90mm FX equivalent field of view.   Still not enough telephoto compression for many portrait styles?  I disagree.   Right around 85mm in FX equivalent field of view is a sweet, sweet spot for many flattering portrait styles.  On DX, the 60G is right there.

As for optics, I'd argue that "too sharp" is a good "problem" for a lens to have.  With a D200 you're shooting 10 megapixels with a relatively strong AA filter; there's a natural ceiling to the amount of detail you're going to be able to collect, and many lenses are capable of hitting it--it's not just a special talent of the 60G or other macro lenses.   Case in point: even a lowly 50mm f/1.8D at f/4 or f/5.6 can meet the D200's resolution limits.

I don't point that out pejoratively, by the way--I think it's one of the great D40x/60/80/200 strengths: excellent 12-bit (pre picture-control era) color and enough resolution for great 8" x 10"s, but not enough pixels or bit depth to suffer many lens shortcomings.  It's a happy medium, indeed.

Dialing down a sharp lens on a D200's JPEGs is as easy as setting your sharpness to -1 or -2 and letting your sensor's AA filter do its job.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow