35-70 f2.8D on DX for portraits?

Started Dec 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,051
35-70 f2.8D on DX for portraits?

I'm struggling with getting the right lens for use with a "portable studio" setup I put together. I love the look and skin tones I get from a D200 and really love the rendering of the 85mm f1.8G lens on this camera. The problem I am finding is: it sometimes is a bit long for the space I find myself in, especially for couples.

I tried the 50mm f1.8 G and an underwhelmed with the rendering/perspetive. I have a 17-70 sigma and at 70mm the rendering is nice enough and the perspective seems right but at f4 the DOF is a bit too deep.

I find I shoot the 85 around f2.2 and even at f2.8 it looks pretty nice as far as DOF. So now I'm starting to wonder if a 35-70 f2.8D might not be what I am looking for? The price is right and I have seen people say it renders nicely but haven't seen a lot of samples of this lens used on DX wide open to get a feeling for how it renders. Obviously in this use flare etc wouldn't be a concern.

Anyone care to weigh in on this lens on DX for portraits?

-- hide signature --

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7 +17 more
Nikon D200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow