Leaning towards buying either a D700 or a 58mm f1.4G

Started Dec 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
OP Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,703
Re: Leaning towards buying either a D700 or a 58mm f1.4G

Shotcents wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

Ray Ritchie wrote:

Since you like the D200 colors so much, though, I would have to wonder if a much less expensive lens such as a 50mm f/1.4g might not give you close to what you're looking for at a much lower price tag.

Yeah I am leaning towards finding a lens for my D200 since I have this dialed in to what I like. I normally don't shoot the 85 wide open, F2.2-2.8 range. I'm wondering if one of the older F2.8 midrange FX lenses would fit the bill? A 35-70 or 28-70 etc.

I like how happy you are with the D200 as it does what you like. I wonder if the 58mm is going to be enough of a quality leap or change to make you happy with what it costs.

Yes, at least for me, I feel digital cameras are like the various print films were. Many people could see no difference and felt "the look" simply came from how they were printed. Obviously you could manipulate the results with exposure and color filtration when printing (and what color paper was used etc), which gave the most extreme changes but each film did have a "feel" or palate to it. It was subtle and some people don't get it, like looking at how a lens renders rather than just being focused on how technically sharp it is.

I have found myself in sorta a nitch market and need to dial in OOC jpegs for nice skin tones given the sheer number of people I have found myself shooting. And the shots need to look obviously better than your neighbor with a nice camera could do or no one would hire me to do this.

I feel I am getting close with the D200 and just have to find the right lens. When I can have room and use the 85, people have been blow away with when I have sent them. A 70mm f1.8 would probably be perfect but alas, it isn't made.. Sometimes the room I have to setup in just isn't big enough to use an 85mm lens and the 50mm f1.8g doesn't really render like I want either. I know the 70mm focal length would be ideal and a 58 is a good bit shorter. One solution would be to rent a 58 and see if it works for me?

I know I am at a point that is -very- subjective and will probably waste some money trying different things to find what works for me. It is kinda strange there is no 105mm FOV equiv lens for DX..

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow